Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day 18 - Extremes

This week was a week of extremes for me.  Two of my workouts were among the most difficult I have experienced.  The first, Monday, was an excruciating three-mile run in 102 degree heat.  My mouth was so dry when I reached the finish line that I felt I had had a sand sandwich for lunch.  The next day, Tuesday, coach Cornelius put me through a grueling eight-round mitt workout which pushed my body to the edge.  When you constantly push yourself to your limits you become all too familiar with your limitations.  Interestingly, the harder you work at boxing - when you really focus on the intricacies and avoid cheating - the further your goals seem.  Before speed and power there is slow and steady progression.  Add in the environmental factors of heat, fatigue, and long work hours and it is easy to become disenchanted.  This is a new feeling for me.  Since I picked up a jump rope I have been enthusiastic, even passionate, about boxing.  Lately, though, boxing has come to feel like a job.  A good part of the problem I realized is entirely inside of my own head.  So I have decided to readjust my attitude the same way you might tweak the left hook to make it shorter and less open to a counter.  I took a break and did not swim this week.  Instead of cross fit I played some pick up basketball.  Then something funny happened.  Instead of focusing on the heat or on the minutiae of every punch I let loose and tried to enjoy myself.  Sure enough, the speed and strength were there.  But so was the laughter and the fun too.

For another guy who has fun at what he does (teaching boxing), check this video out:

Former Champ Cracks on Boxing Nerds

No comments:

Post a Comment