I was sitting listening to a lecture recently and my mind drifted to boxing. This is not unusual for me. That day, however, I found myself breaking a sweat, the hairs on my neck on end. I pictured myself alternately pummeling and being overwhelmed by an opponent. With a rush of anticipation I could feel the excitement of the crowd urging me on. For the first time during this fight camp it was no longer just about training. The fight is near.
There is something indescribably nerve-wracking about fighting in front of a crowd. I have been to a couple championship bouts in Las Vegas and Atlantic City. There is something about the audience that urges the fighters to a different level of speed and energy that sparring can never duplicate.
I have never fought on enemy turf so to speak, or in a cold, air-conditioned casino hall. Lately, though, I've been visualizing myself pulling out a tough fight, coming out strong in the later rounds, the referee raising my hand high in the air...



No comments:
Post a Comment