Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Day 35 - Hump Day

Today we started the week sparring with an old timer Philadelphia fighter, Jimmy "Shotgun" Muse.  He was a professional with a 10-10 record who is 49 now.  He has that old slick Philly style and throws a mean right but, understandably the added pounds and the years have slowed him down considerably.  As they say, though, power is the last thing to go.


Watch the three-two combination at 1:16.  This is what coach means when he says slow and smooth practice turns fast and hard punches.  Form over depth.



Coach has put a great deal of emphasis on punching while moving and moving while punching.  The idea is that you are more dangerous when can hit your opponent and move before he can respond.  Also, you are less vulnerable when you are ready to attack at all times.  The trick is to shorten your punches while establishing a rhythm, using your legs and waist, while avoiding setting a pattern that can be timed.  Aside from some creative mitt work, the best way to do this is to work the double-end bag, which simulates punches being thrown at you while allowing you to move around the bag.  I was surprised to see how fast the bag moves.  I did not realize how much things slow down with experience.  Now if only I could improve the strength in my legs and the flexibility in my back I could do this in the ring more effectively.


No comments:

Post a Comment