Before nearly every
boxing match my girlfriend asks, “What time is the game?” Shaking my head, I respond, “A fight,
babe. It’s a fight. If you were facing a grown man only
purpose in life was to hurt you, it wouldn’t feel like a game.”
Boxing is among the
most truthful and unforgiving of sports. By
necessity, however, boxers are liars. (This
is why boxing is not and should never be considered a team sport no
matter how much the rah-rah types at pseudo-boxing-fitness gyms preach). Boxers mislead. They set traps. They feint. They pull back on a punch just enough
to set up the kayo. They play rope-a-dope.
Although boxers lie
boxing does not. Eventually, each flaw or weaknesses not eradicated in the gym
is exploited, put on display. That
is why it is fitting that both boxers stand in the center of the ring, only
half-clothed, fully exposed to the world.
Half-naked, tying to keep a little something extra hidden away is crucial to survival.
(I was able to get through five rounds of mitt work the next day. Felt like death.)
(I was able to get through five rounds of mitt work the next day. Felt like death.)
I have met many
delusional boxers. It is hard to tell
what brings them to a gym. All
flash and no substance, some train hard but most are satisfied to dream. I have often wondered how they do not
come to see their mistakes, even with the help of a mirror, until it is too
late. I learned today that you
either have to be honest with yourself or find someone who will be honest with
you. This is why having a good
trainer can be so important. Even
then the powers of denial and self-delusion can have their way. But today my camcorder cut through all
that. After only one round of mitt
work with my gym owner, Kenny, I could see clearly that I have a fatal flaw in
my boxing. I drop my hands after I
throw a combination. Some call
this posing for the camera. Some
do it because their arms and shoulders tire. I do it partly out of habit and partly out of pure
curiosity. I like to admire my own
work when I should get the hell out and set something else up. I am glad I caught it early on. It will be something interesting to look
for as training progresses.
No comments:
Post a Comment