Thursday, May 31, 2012

Day 29 - Full Body Workout

Boxing is the original full body workout.  George Foreman once said, "Boxing is the sport to which all other sports aspire."  However, there is something to be said for cross training.  It is a mistake to think simply showing up to the boxing gym and hitting the bags for an hour will get you to the point where you can overcome the pain and fatigue and overcome the will of an opponent whose sole purpose is to beat you into submission.

In order to be confident in the squared circle, I participate in a number of physical activities in my free time to include swimming, running, weight lifting, and yoga.  Recently, there has been a growing interest in the functional fitness practice known as cross-fit.  Although I am new to it the idea is simple: using moderate weights or only the body's weight, the practitioner engages in high-intesity, high-repetition physical challenges.  This, in turn, results in increased lean muscles mass while also improving cardiovascular endurance.  This is perfect for what I am preparing for now.  I don't need to be able to run for hours.  What I need is to be agile, well-balanced, and able to exert intense energy in short bursts for about ten minutes with short breaks.

So, I am trying out cross-fit.   Check out the video below for a glimpse of how difficult this practice can be.  Even someone like me, who was able to spar for six three-minute rounds and hit the mitts for another four later that day had a lot of trouble at the cross-fit gym.


No comments:

Post a Comment