Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 20 - More Boston Boxing

Less than two months after my initial foray into amateur-style boxing I was at it again at another Friday fight night at Boston Boxing and Fitness in Allston.  This time I had worked on my balance and guard. My jab was stiffer and I was slightly more comfortable.  But my left hook was still uncertain, I did not know how to counter yet, and I was uncomfortable on the inside.  I was facing a bigger fighter - albeit an out of shape one - with a big right hand.  Given my last ring encounter, I was eager for a less intense bout.  The result was that I moved a whole lot.


The fight was not going as intensely as the last time out, but I took a few big punches and moved around enough for my breathing to be labored after only two minutes.  My corner told me to calm the hell down and stop moving so much.  Had I the experienced I do now I would have known to circle right away from his big right hand (his only real weapon).




I could have done a much better job of what boxing people refer to as "ring generalship."  When you are pressing the issue, bringing the fight to the opponent, and taking control of the ring both observers and the opponent recognize your dominance.  My problem was I lacked the enthusiasm and the killer instinct.  After my first experience in the ring, I was just looking to outpoint and survive.  Had I been looking for the knockout I would have gotten inside and worked his body.  I would have jumped all over him when he looked tired.  I later sparred this same opponent a few months later and essentially made him quit.  (You can tell how out of shape he was because his mouthpiece got knocked out because he was breathing through his mouth rather than his nose after a flurry).  But at this point I was not there yet.  I had been boxing for almost five months.  I was developing more power (I knocked a guy out and on his back the week leading into this match with a left hook to the temple he never saw coming), but my confidence was not quite there yet.



With experience comes confidence, though.  Today, when the going gets tough I think back to my experience fighting and sparring.  I adjust throughout the fight, trying new things based on what I see and eschewing what is not working.  But there are a few good takeaways from this fight that require little experience.  At the end I had more success because I was more aggressive.  I threw in combinations.  Throwing "punches in bunches" and simply outlasting an opponent is a critical part of the game.  Another thing I learned: jabs can hurt.  If you notice at 1:16, the opponent almost goes down from a jab he walks right into.



Three things I remember most about this fight.  First, Christina can take one on the chin.  Second, I noticed my opponent was bleeding from the mouth and nose when he took off his head gear.  It felt good to draw blood.  I knew it must have affected him mentally and I was pleased to make him hurt more than I did.  Third, the gentlemen barking instructions in black business casual, Hector.  He was a fellow boxer and someone whose skill I greatly admired when I first came into the sport.  He was also quite a character, always jokes and smiles.  Sadly, about a year later he was dead.  He was diagnosed with stomach cancer and quickly perished from his disease.  I was fortunate to know him.  It makes me feel especially lucky that four years after my father was diagnosed with cancer he is still doing relatively well.  I dedicate this blog post to Hector and all the good people at Boston Boxing who were in his corner to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment